these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Sep 19, 2009

hysterical...

well, no nudity at the doctor's office yesterday. yippee! but of course they always want to schedule that kind of thing before you leave if you're a woman. i swear the idea of the "wandering uterus" still exists in medicine. ha! they can deny it as much as they like but i've noticed that every single friggin time i go to the doctor for anything, they always want to schedule an appointment to look at my female parts. always. and there is absolutely no history of any kind of cancer in my family. none. but there's the not-so-secret assumption that if you've got a uterus you're insane or at least prone to insanity and that the uterus will birth out all your dark secrets. hysteria! what a bunch of weirdos.

today i get to go on an art store shopping spree. maybe i'll let my uterus pick a few things out too. :)

6 comments:

Heather Jerdee said...

So funny and so ridiculously true. Ughh I hate those appointments.

I like what your work you've been up to so much Angela, letting you know :)

angela simione said...

it's funny how we're taught to guard our virtue but then expected to completely abandon it if a medical professional says so. spread em' ladies! and don't talk back!

thank you! i've definitely been having a ton of fun working with words the last few weeks. i'm glad you like it too! :D

thea said...

heheh this cracks me up. I had the marvelous pleasure once of having a nude check-up, instruments right inside me, when the doctor's phone rang and she buggered off to answer it leaving me (and my uterus!!) feeling rather exposed and vulnerable.

Dread uterus check-ups now. sigh.

thea.
xx


www.forthevisionaries.tumblr.com

angela simione said...

hi thea,

hahahahaha! yep! THAT'S HORRIBLE! geez! that's what i'm talking about! and the whole procedure is just so ridiculously out-dated. there's GOT to be an easier way to do this particular examination. i KNOW they've got that little camera-on-a-stick thingamajig. why not use something like that? descreet. easy. no physical trauma. no weird embarrassment. why not? oh, that's right... women have no right to privacy. our bodies aren't our own.

i came home and asked my sweetie, "hey. when you GUYS go to the doctor, does the doctor immediately ask you to show him/her your balls?" he laughed and said no (of course).

lots of fun being female. lots. ha! :)

sMacThoughts said...

I am laughing so hard. SO good to hear others bothered by the invasion we all have to go through!

angela simione said...

hey you!

hahahaha! totally! it sucks! ahhhhhhhhhhh! i hate it so much! i'm glad i'm not alone in this either. so many women i know seem to be so nonchalant about it, not bothered at all, total pros about the whole thing.