these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Sep 18, 2009

fear and portraiture...

ah mannnnnnn... i've got a doctor's appointment this morning that i forgot all about. geez. i really don't want to go. i hate the doctor's office. hate, hate, HATE. i always get nervous they're gonna ask me to do something humiliating... like take all my clothes off and call everyone in to the room to poke and prod and gawk and comment. not all that far fetched, actually. something along those lines happened once and, now that i think of it, i should have sued or at least complained and got that doctor in trouble but that doesn't have anything to do with today and there should be no reason for the removal of clothing at this particular appointment. at any rate, i've been pacing back and forth since i woke up. i'm all anxiety. silly. i'll go, i'll go. i'll be a good little girl and do what i'm told, i suppose. ugg. maybe it'll give me something to write a poem with. that's looking at the bright side, right? ha! art-nerd alert! :)

i think it's safe to say i've been on quite the poetry kick for the passed few weeks. probably due to my two mini-vacations and being away from my paint, but it sure has been nice. i got a bit of painting done yesterday now that i'm back at home and it felt really good and i kept bouncing back and forth between my canvas and my notebook, one practice feeding the other.

the redaction pieces i've been making have become quite a nice tool in my bag as well. when i first started making them about two years ago, i had no idea what i'd use them for, all i knew was that i liked them and felt like it was a beneficial thing to do. i've always seen them as art-pieces in their own right and want to frame a whole bunch of them, but lately i've been using them for book-making and poetry stuff like the one in my post below. but not all of them will get used that way. some of them are meant to stand alone- act as a little scrap of evidence... allude to a lost history or identity... to talk about loss and silence and fragmentation. they are portraits in their own right. little biographies. the dangle of a secret.


and i am sleeping in my battle
9.25" x 6"
redacted book page
angela simione, 2009

No comments: