these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jun 28, 2009

"anonymous was a woman"...

yesterday, after the hell-like hotness got the better of me and put a hard stop on my outdoor painting time, i got to drawing. and it felt good. really good. i love drawing- just playing and meandering around, letting the materials take the reins and guide the process.

these are the drawings i made while i hid inside from the heat and i must say i adore them!




untitled 1 and 2
11" x 7.5"
water-soluble graphite, gouache, and masking tape
angela simione, 2009


they are untitled as of yet because i'm thinking these ladies need a few friends to keep company with. i'm also thinking they'd made good prints. hmmmmm. ideas, ideas, ideas. i'm gonna get back on the drawing-wagon this afternoon. it's supposed to get up to 110 today so i'll definitely be hiding inside.

10 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

I absolutely love these! The drips are great!

angela simione said...

the drips are my favorite! that and the tape. :) thank you!!!

Heather Jerdee said...

I agree it is fun to draw, explore, and meander can definitely be relaxing and soothing. I like that they look like they are from a different time period and the tape. And now I know what a swamp cooler is :)

angela simione said...

hahahaha! :)

the reference for these are vintage cameo-style photographs. i'm glad you like the tape!

Radish King said...

These are heartbreaking, especially the buttons. My grandmother had a Mason jar full of them. When I was at her house I'd string them and when I left she'd unstring them we did this for years. I knew each button by heart I think that's why they move me or it might just be your brilliance shimmering through and the faces, the expressions so deft and each their own.
xo

Radish King said...

and the stories inside, we must not forget the women who went before us, who carved the way for us and these paintings seem to bring their (lives)(suffering)(joy)(anonymity) to light you honor them and there is deep play and truth inside their faces and what is hidden.

angela simione said...

rebecca-

thank you so much! honoring the lives of the woman who came before us, who tolerated being silenced with such poise, such grace... who worked to lift that veil and whose struggle i now benefit from is exactly what i'm trying to do with this work... with the maid paintings... with all of it. and for you to let me know that i've succeeded in doing that with these little drawings brings up the hot tears. thank you so much and i love your eloquence and thoughtfulness and honesty. i may have to paraphrase you in my next artist statement! ha! :)

angela simione said...

women

Joetta M. said...

so lovely...

angela simione said...

thank you joetta!