these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Apr 10, 2009

art and wine...

good morning! i've been working on the new maid portrait since about 6:30 and my painting arm is a little tired. :) but i'll suffer through it. i'm really exited about creating a new body of work around this image. and there are a lot of things coming up this summer that i need to be prepared for (more about that later) so i've really gotta pick up the pace on my production... at least as much as my process will allow without becoming a one-woman art-factory. i'm just having so much fun in my little studio lately. my canvasses are last thing i think about at night when i crawl in to bed and the very first thing on my mind when i wake up. i'm on the right track and it's nice.

and speaking of nice... i had such a wonderful time at the wine-tastings we went to yesterday! we went to three different wineries, drank chardonnay out of the tanks, ate strong cheese, and were pretty giggly by the end of it. it was wonderful and i had so much fun! the only down side to drinking wine in the middle of the day though is that by 4:30 in the afternoon i was so drained and tired that i wasn't good for much for the rest of the evening. but magically, i have not even a hint of a headache and was awake and ready for the day at 5:30 this morning. if you find yourself out and about in wine-country, go to the tastings. and a special thanks to Lin at Venge for showing us such hospitality and being so generous and sweet. :)

2 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

I loved your "clockwise, counting" poem a few days ago. I'm intrigued by your "maids" idea--what has inspired you here? Looking forward to the finished product!

angela simione said...

thanks so much!

the 'maids' have alot to do with my family's history in particular (which is probably why i feel so close to the work) and with women's history in general: undocumented, anonymous work... and i wanted to work towards honoring that lineage and still present the fact that cleaning women are largely ignored... almost unseen... faceless.