these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jul 7, 2010

waking

i need to finish my essay about kate zambreno's book soon. all the weirdo hoopla around here lately has been very distracting. and then the long weekend of sirens sirens sirens, drunk people driving off of cliffs or smashing in to trees. wine-country is the land of the road-side memorial. it is sad. it is heart-breaking. it makes me want to hug everyone all the time.

but i am finally shrugging off the new tensions and getting back to my regularly scheduled program of writing, reading, painting, drawing, writing, reading, painting, drawing. i finished a big ice-berg drawing yesterday. it's the same size as the tire-swing. i'll photograph it soon. i've been bad about documentation lately. and tonight i'm going to go have a slumber party with my friend becca in the city. she's back in town, up from the southern california beaches, and ready to laugh and laugh and laugh and suck up that wonderful san francisco fog. and so am i. i think it's been almost 6 months since we've seen each other. and i absolutely love being in the same room with other artistic women. love. i love the friendship that arises out of that dynamic. a friendship based in crazy discussion. ethics and aesthetics and belief in the power of art. a friendship born of the shared belief that art is important and meaningful and relevant to daily life. it's amazing. and that's the part of going to art-school that i miss the most: daily conversation about aesthetics and relevance and the push/pull of images and words. ideas everywhere. that's probably why i like the blogging community so much- the continued engagement with ideas and aspirations and loves and The Struggle.

it's a cold morning here. my finger tips actually feel a little numb. the seasons have been strange this year. but i have my coffee mug to warm them by and soon a long, loved run to take. my dreams from last night are still very much on me. odd feelings and a light anxiety. i will jump in to a painting or a book for a few hours before i head out to the city. lose myself in my love for these things. swim.

2 comments:

Marylinn Kelly said...

The blogging community expands my vision daily...I see parallel tracks, however our approaches differ. While we may not sit and rhapsodize together about the candied joy of a perfect word, we know them when we read them on each other's pages.

angela simione said...

marylinn, yes! and it is a experience i continue to be increasingly grateful for and wowwed by. such a rich and generous community of people! and those parallel lines give me so much encouragement and hope. :)