these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jun 21, 2010

affirm

.

slowly slowly

and in the present tense.

i scribbled 15 minutes on my forearm this morning. a reminder of how to take the day: small increments. focused. lovingly. do not skip ahead. do not let a foot slip in to the past. keep your eyes here. both of them. 15 minutes at a time if the day feels too wide, too tall.

it works.

and now, fresh from a long shower, already in polka dot pajamas even though the sun is still up, i will head off to the bedroom. turn the fan on. get under a thin quilt. put a book on my lap. stay just like that until it is time to drift off.



i want to pay attention
and not fall to distraction.

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

sometimes it's this, and sometimes i want so badly to be distracted, to make things go by faster, that just to be spiteful they slow to a crawl.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Yes, paying attention is important for me right now, too. It's amazing when something calls itself to your attention, and you are open enough to notice, huh?

15 minutes of anything is doable.

Elisabeth said...

It's a wonderful image of you here, Angela, in polka dot pyjamas under a thin cover, refusing to be distracted and drifting off to sleep. Fresh and clean and full of promise.

angela simione said...

maggie, i know that one!

i'm trying to deepen my capacity for patience lately because i am (at this point, anyway) convinced it is an ability that is connected to self-confidence. for me, anyway. the lower my confidence, the shorter my patience seems to be and i just want to rush right to the good stuff. now now now. like daffy duck.

angela simione said...

hannah, yes!!!!! totally do-able! and when i can get myself to Be Present, those 15 minutes morph in to an hour FAST! and then 2 hours. and then 3! amazing, for sure!!!!

angela simione said...

thank you, elisabeth. :) you made me blush a little bit. haha! i feel recharged this morning- calm and steady and eager for this new day.

polka dot pajamas make life better.