these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Dec 16, 2010

also...

i've been very attracted to religious paintings lately. especially the work of Hans Memling. it's just so sad and romantic, dark and beautiful. compelling. there is music in it. and i want to lay on the floor below these paintings, let the vermilion shine and spill on to my hands, my face, soak my shirt. this is color done right! i want to be haunted by that strange, tiny angel in black at the nativity. i want Mary to rub my face with that cloth that has absorbed Christ's image. i want her to wrap me up like a baby, let the wind catch in the corners of the linen and flap like a crow against my body. these paintings are churches unto themselves. these are rooms. these are prayers and hymns made physical.

the painting at the bottom is "Christ Giving His Blessing" and is housed inside the Norton Simon in Pasadena, Ca. it is my favorite painting in their collection. i have a small postcard of it. if you have a chance to go see it, do.









No comments: