these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Nov 8, 2010

:)

i have been crocheting roses for the better part of a week and switching back and forth between reading jean genet and simone weil. is that an odd combo? polar mysticisms, for sure. and i bend under the weight and steam of both their writings, come to some sort of faithful ground where exploration as such becomes the best and only beauty. philosophy has always turned me inside out in such wonderful ways. it is a grand art. it always makes me sad to see it flailing, unnoticed, in the background of culture at large: shining and ignored. still, i become more and more thankful for it. i ensure myself some much coveted moments alone with it daily now; the rain finding us so often.

today the sun is high and bright but it is freezing cold. the chill bit my face on the Mighty Run and made my nostrils hurt. the heater on and am wearing a huge sweater, thankful for walls and a roof and the water boiling for cherry tea.

and my head is still not screwed on entirely straight, still lop-sided and dangling (happily!) from the radiating joy of the weekend. a moment of satisfaction??? it was so wonderful to see my school friends again! their smiling faces and warm hugs. it felt like no time had gone by at all and it was just a few weeks ago that we were all crammed in to the studios together, worrying about the meaning of painting and things like Relevance and Historic Reference. hahaha! and of course those things are important but, now, 2 1/2 years later the story has changed: those concerns become tempered, cut down to size by struggling alone with your own practice, your own ideas, picking out books to read on your own, and holding them under your own microscope. my school friends all said "your work is so different now". :) and i suppose it is.

and so i feel quiet and happy today. spinning, but pleased. i will be watching Slingshot Gallery on thursdays so come on down! draw with me! talk to me about books or art or whatever shenanigans you may be up too. it would be wonderful to hang out! i'll be there from 12-5pm at least. i'll keep the doors open longer some days when i don't have to rush right off.

4 comments:

Radish King said...

ps. YOUR STUFF IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S THAT IT IS JUST A PANIC GOOD TIME.


honestly. those other artists just kind of dim in the presence of your work.

Radish King said...

ps. YOUR STUFF IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S THAT IT IS JUST A PANIC GOOD TIME.


honestly. those other artists just kind of dim in the presence of your work.

Radish King said...

It's worth leaving up twice.
xo

angela simione said...

hahahahahaha! oh, my dear friend! you make me laugh out loud and smile so big my cheeks ache! hahahahahaha! <3