these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Oct 22, 2010

rainy days give you an excuse to be Andy Warhol

i woke to a rainy day. normally, i'd feel a bit sabotaged by that but not today. i instantly welcomed it. there was something unexpectedly beautiful about it. a sort of joyfulness about rain on the roof and windows and blacktop.

a short break in the weather presented itself so i shoved my feet into my running shoes and got going. but midway through the Mighty Run the rain returned, soaking the front of my sweatshirt and pants and turning my swinging ponytail in to a godawful frizzy mess of wet tangles. but it felt good. the cold rain drops on my flushed face, mingling with my sweat, tapping gently at the whites of my eyes was actually very pleasurable. as was the feeling of hey mom, look at me! look at what a total BAD ASS i am, running in the rain like it ain't no thang! :) ha!

and now, with the rain coming down and a roof to hide under and a cup of raspberry tea at my side, i am definitely in the mood to bounce back and forth between my Bedroom Arts: drawing, crocheting, and reading. i had planned to gesso two big canvasses today but that's a project for outside. gesso doesn't come out if you accidentally get it on your couch and don't notice until well after its dry. definitely not an indoor project. can't say that i mind putting it on hold though- a rainy day seems like the perfect way to wind down such a good, productive, busy, happy week.

besides, Andy Warhol insists that you could be doing anything, but if you're doing it in bed... well, it's just that much more glamourous. it's an outlook i tend to agree with. so if the opportunity finds you today to accept a Warholian moment in Bed, take it. luxuriate in the glamour of it. even if it's something as simple as reading a book or folding clothes because watch:

what are you doing?
i'm reading.

vs.

what are you doing?
i'm in bed reading.


see. instant glamour. go with andy. ;)

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Running in the rain is one of my favorite things to do! Where a normal run has elements of work involved, running in the rain reminds me much more of playing when I was a kid. I'm a big fan. :)

I'm also a big fan of doing things in bed. I'll have to remember what Andy Warhol said next time my husband catches me reading a book or writing in bed, that I'm just indulging my inner Gloria Vanderbilt.

angela simione said...

caitlin, it felt so good! definitely more like play than work! that's a wonderful way to think of it. :)

yes, in his book "The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again)" there is an entire section about the glamour of doing anything in bed and it is not only true but totally hilarious! it is a must-read for sure! in fact, i should read it again soon. it's been a few years but it made me laugh outloud the first time i read it. ;)

Caitlin said...

I own that book but I have never read it! Clearly I am missing out.

angela simione said...

hahahaha! you'll love it whenever you find some time to sit down with it. he's got an original outlook on life, for sure. :)