these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Sep 24, 2009

value...

lately i've been thinking about the positive side of anonymity-
a form of protection, security, a safe warm place to be...

and though my portraits are generally about forced anonymity, this aspect is something i need to look at too... that, in some ways, these women are also protected, not objectified. they feel no embarrassing exposure. they can step forward if they want to. these women aren't harmed by me. not that i ever felt i was doing them any harm, but realizing that there is a positive quality to anonymity helps me proceed with a greater strength: i know they won't be hurt. i know they will always remain safe.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

One of the things I adore about your paintings is the safety you give your figures your woman and your bravery at letting them set out alone and naked (as in teeth as in fence which echoes teeth as in apron). Your self shines through all of these your care and your bravery, indeed.

r

angela simione said...

thank you. so so so much!

i love them like they're real, actual, in the flesh people. i hope that love shows. :)