these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Aug 6, 2009

here's your sign, stupid...

if painting was a person...
if poetry was a person...

she'd be tall and gorgeous and when her hips swung when she walked down the street, feet hitting the pavement hard with that super-model stomp, a theme song would fly out from the hem of her skirt. most likely 'simply irresistible' by robert palmer. she'd send Dear John letters off to her legion of faithful lovers almost daily and she wouldn't for one second tolerate any bullshit. she'd be a little snotty and a lot sassy and she'd say things like "who the fuck are you to try and tell me what i can and can't do". and she'd flip you off on the freeway and she'd tell you where you can shove it. and when you came to her place in the middle of the night, driven crazy by how much you love her and by the truth that you'll never be good enough for her, to apologise for asserting your trifling needs and desires, you'd be greeted by a sign on her door much like this one-


warning
11" x 7.5"
gouache on paper
angela simione, 2009


currently hanging in my little studio to remind me what is what and who is whose bitch. :)

6 comments:

Radish King said...

Oh thank the Gods for you The Amazing Angela.
love,
Rebecca

angela simione said...

hee hee hee

i was hoping i'd see you here. :)

love,
angela

Heather Jerdee said...

The Amazing Angela hee Rock on Girl!!! I love your sign!!!
:)

angela simione said...

hahaha! thanks heather! :)

Heather Jerdee said...

Actually I'm commenting again, I had my first rejection as a artist the same day you blogged about yours this week. We only really have one gallery in my highly conservative city and it's a co-op. I didn't make the cut because my work wasn't framed. Not a bad rejection but I do wonder also if it is because my work is different from any thing else in there. Ton's of landscapes and more I guess, traditional art. I do think farms are beautiful but ya know that's probably not my thing, or painting a scene of a family sitting on a front porch eating apple pie, with the American flag waving in the background. :)

I am now leaning towards not applying again cause I don't know if it's the right fit for my art. Lesson's to learn, I like to liked a lot but I gotta be pro active for my own art and follow my nose, my gut see what is the right fit for showcasing my art.

Anyways I got a few of you talented artist's I admire on the internets who have blogged about being rejected and I am really thankful that you all have shared this really thankful. I know it's a part of this, a normal part of this and maybe what comes from it is the point? does that make sense. I don't know.
I gotta blog one of these days hee-hee :)

angela simione said...

hi heather,

i'm sorry. i know how excited you were when you applied to that gallery. but you've stumbled across the great truism when scouting for galleries- does your work 'fit in'? there are a few galleries here in the town i live in but none of them are a good fit for my work at all. they pretty much show landscapes exclusively too. vineyard and vineyard after vineyard. not exactly a subject matter that i deal with. i'm not making a judgement about it, it's just that in terms of business there's not one thing those galleries would gain from showing my work and not one thing i would gain from the gallery- it's just not what they're known for and not what they're in to. so it's nothing personal at all. i drive an hour and a half to my gallery. yep. it's that far away. but it's more than worth it. they believe in what i do and the gallery is known for carrying a wide range of styles and approaches and for carrying contemporary art.

i'll admit it's pretty hard to write about rejection here on the blog because that's something i'd normally keep to myself... but how does that help anyone? every artist gets rejected and we get rejected over and over and over again. i have a special folder just for rejection letters. i save them all ! HA! it's a big part of this life path, i suppose. and some of it is just paying your dues. no one shoots straight to the top. no one. i'm glad that other artists are talking about it aswell. i think it helps to cushion the blow for others. at least i hope it does. :)

yes, blog! totally! i know it's hard because there have been tons of times i've expressed my complete excitement over something just to end up with a rejection letter in my hand and it does feel embarrassing. for me anyway. but if you feel like talking about it, you should. if you don't, wait a while. it's you're blog and you can talk about whatever you want... whatever makes you feel good.

feel proud, girl! you tried! and that's a hell of a lot more than most people do. if you keep trying, you will get there. :)