these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jul 19, 2009

while i should've been sleeping...

last night after drinking way too much coffee at way too late an hour, i made these. i'm glad for the bad caffeine decision.


mama (1)
11" x 7.5"
water-soluble graphite and gouache on paper
angela simione, 2009


mama (2)
11" x 7.5"
water-soluble graphite and gouache on paper
angela simione, 2009

5 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Wow! I just love them.

I like how they look like someone just took them off. They almost seem to be suspended in air, which is also quite ghostly and magical.

Alanna Risse said...

These are absolutely stunning. I think you're onto something.

angela simione said...

thanks guys! they are my new favorites! ha! seems like everything becomes my "new favorite" lately. i'm definitely going to stick with this idea. i really like how they compliment the maid portraits but, the more i look at the aprons, there seems to be something even more powerful going on... a less in more type of thing. a kind of serrogacy (is that a word?) that i really like and creates a more wide-open narrative than the maid portraits do... at least it seems that way right now.

i'm so glad you both like them! i promise to follow where it leads. :)

Heather Jerdee said...

So beautiful Angela. I agree there is something powerful with these, and they do seem to have a suspended, floating feeling to them.

angela simione said...

i'm so glad you like them. i guess when i was making them i didn't really think about them floating, but now that it's been pointed out, i think it's my favorite aspect of these.