these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jul 15, 2009

practice, practice, practice...

it's another scorcher here in wine-land. blah and blarf. but it's also a day for painting outside and letting my little one sleep on top of her pile of sticks. she's drug down the entire forest to our front porch. and by sticks i mean big-ass branches. so big her head tilts to the side as she lugs them down the hill. branches that are actually the size of tree trunks. everyday she brings down a few more. 2 of the neighborhood dogs now come over to chew on the sticks and hang out in the shade. my pack is growing apparently. no complaints here. a pack of loose, unleashed dogs make it so that i'm an impossible person to sneek up on. plus, it's pretty cute to see them all laying around, happy in the heat with a stick to gnaw on, not a care in the world. the life of a dog seems to be pretty good. full of naps and play and jumping and kissing. they make for pretty good company as well.

i started a new painting today. i've got 3 in the works. 3 big canvasses anyway. i'm not including all the drawings i get wrapped up in and, lately, crochet projects too. i'm trying to focus the majority of my art-making energy on the oils. i'm feeling that nice, warm drive to begin putting together work for a solo show. it'll be a long time in coming just because, well, it takes a long time to do the work. but i finally feel like it's time to start preparing for it. it's been a year since graduation and i've worked through that strange transition and i feel (at least with this current body of work) that i've worked out a lot of the kinks in my practice. i feel like i'm moving forward and that the anxieties of last year are far behind me and that i can now concentrate on goals and growth again. it's a good feeling and i'm thankful (now anyway) for those trials. they have aided me in a whole bunch of crazy and unforeseen ways. at least that's what my little masochist tells me. :)

2 comments:

Heather Jerdee said...

Oh for cute all those dogs that would be good company. Awwh dogs are pretty great. And Hells yes about Antler that's awesome I'm following them on face book so I can follow the blog too and pretty photo Angela:)
Thanks for the complements on my painting. I will find out next week if I am part of a group show and I'm trying to keep thinking good thoughts and if I don't get in it won't be the end of world, it might feel like it ;) but I know it won't be.
Anyways nothing does compare to oil painting we can do a pretend cheers over the internet to that one!

angela simione said...

my finger's are crossed for you girl! that's so cool! and no, it's not the end of the world if you don't get it... but you're right, it DOES feel like it. :) i've totally cried my eyes out over rejections before and most likely will again one day. all part of the game and, in some ways, it's a good thing.

i'm so glad you're following ANTLER. it's such a great magazine and i feel totally honored to play even a small part in the whole endevour. thank you!