these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jul 7, 2009

calm...

while i was in the city last week, i had a really wonderful conversation with a person from my gallery. she was very attentive and patient and listened to me go on and on about the things i'm wrestling with- career blah, blah, blahs that, in the end, seemed a bit silly. she validated all my concerns but also let me know that i think a bit too much sometimes- a bad habit of mine that i had hoped gone unnoticed. ha! but it's good that it hasn't because hearing it from someone who cares about me, cares about my career, and cares about my general well-being really worked to relax me... put the brakes on my anxieties and bring me back down to earth. if this is my life's work, what's the rush? and she's right. 'nail on the head' right. and now that it's been a couple of days and i'm back to my normal schedule of painting and jogging, i feel clear and calm. the work has been and always will be the most important thing. i get ahead of myself sometimes... get all bent out of shape about things that, when it comes right down to it, are really just ego-strokers anyway. and i'm not in this for that reason. what matters most to me is that people have an honest, heart-felt experience with the work... even if it's a reactionary experience or one of disgust. almost any reaction is good so long as it isn't boredom. :) and that experience will happen as long as i am honest and heart-felt in the studio. my strange anxiety the other day about being too far from the city has been calmed. i'm lucky to live where i do- wide open fields to run through that are always in bloom... a different flower taking over each month... a place that's spread out enough to be LOUD at night and have it be alright... a place where all the stars come out and it's quiet enough to think and sing and get silly without feeling any embarrassment at all.

i need to send a thank you letter her way.

2 comments:

Joetta M. said...

i think she was also speaking to me through you.
it is so true- why are we in such a rush when this is our life's work. why are our accomplishments never big enough. We sometimes forget it is not the destination but the journey that makes that ride.

angela simione said...

totally. i'm so hoeeible when it comes to reminding myself of that particular truism. it is The Fight we are most proud of, not the trophy. i've been good about slowing down this week and making time for play. for being so silly, i'm too serious sometimes for my own good.