these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jun 21, 2009

sunday, sunday, sunday...

intention. that word's been coming up a lot lately. i've been thinking about it for days and days and days. how to satisfy it... how to make it clear... but also, how to leave the door open to other interpretations of the image... how to be generous AND accurate at the same time. it's a back and forth, back and forth kind of thing. a buzz that lives in the line. a kind of call that slinks around in the back of a shadow. i need to go back to my art history books, i think. look and read and hunt. i need to open my theory books and underline, underline, underline... see what other people are saying, receive their insights, and disagree with them if need be...

but not today. today is sunday and the light is bright and good which means it's a day for pushing paint around. as i work, my own intentions become clearer and i feel good about what i'm doing.

last night, my sweetie and i went to the zyzzyva reception at mina dresden. so much art on the walls! and all black and white! SWOON! and an awesome turn-out too! the place was packed and everyone seemed happy and approachable (well, mostly. ha! you know how art receptions can be sometimes). it made me feel good to see that many people together in a room just to look at art and talk about art and show support for the work that artists do. heart-warming. and so today i'm back at my canvasses. i've got two side by side and i'm moving back and forth, back and forth between them- snuggling with one, bruising the other, catering to both.

No comments: