these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Jun 17, 2009

staring contest...

the little, annoying-voiced perfectionist that lives inside me refuses to let me call a painting 'done' until every last inch of it has been scrutinized and wrestled with. people walk by and they don't see the mistakes or any of the small short-comings... but she sees them. and she won't let me rest until they've all been fixed. there's no such thing as "good enough" and there's definitely no such thing as "basically finished". whenever i let these phrases pop out of my mouth, the little, annoying-voiced perfectionist springs up and screams, "there is no such thing as basically finished! it's either finished or it isn't and it isn't! pull your head out of your ass and get back to work, stupid!" ha! yes, this is how i talk to myself during the late stages of a painting... stupid this and stupid that and lazy piece of shit and blah, blah, blah. not very nice but necessary. apparently, my little, annoying-voiced perfectionist shares a bed with a weepy masochist. hmmm.

No comments: