these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Mar 2, 2009

what is work?

is it this moment when, instead of feeling bright and satisfied, i think everything i've laid my hand to is stupid and useless?
is it this moment when, rather than get needed sleep, i stay up and dream of distant goals - days when satisfaction is plenty?
is it this moment when, up at 3am, listening to the rain, eating oranges, typing toward something or someone, i look at my half-finished paintings and half-crocheted flowers and half-read books and know that i can't help but finish all the half-way-theres... even though i've already decided that my hands do stupid things and that my dreams just keep me awake and get in the way?
is it this moment?
or is it tomorrow
when i head back to the studio to fight my finicky canvas... when i decide to read one more chapter, write one more silly line, stitch one more petal in my black garden?
is it both?
is this the ego we've read about?
fragile and sorta annoying...
punishing.

No comments: