these texts are an archive of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area from march 2007 - march 2015. it stands as a record of close to a decade of my life, charting the struggles i faced as an artist, daughter, and lover. messy and chaotic at times, eloquent and poetic at others, these texts are an index i am proud of. it was here in this electric box that i learned how to be honest about my experiences and the person i needed to become. it was here that i first learned the truism that words make the world and how to trust such a beautiful, rife, hard fact.

thank you for meeting me here in such tall grass.


my artist website is here.

Mar 14, 2009

progress...

yay for saturday! all week, i got up at 5am with my sweetie. that's how early he gets up for his job. my thought was that (1) it's always easier to wake up when there's someone else banging around in the kitchen and getting ready for the day and (2) i'd have the whole house to myself for a solid 9 hours and could use that time toward much better things than catching zees. and, in a lot of ways, waking up that early feeds productivity. ever since i graduated, it's been somewhat of a struggle figuring out how best to manage my time and energy. i mean, i'd been in school my entire life and so my class schedule was what kept me in line, kept me moving, kept me productive. and it isn't that i've necessarily been any less productive since finishing school, i just haven't felt as serious as i used to. i figured i'd try out an early morning schedule again and see how i fared...

i got so much done! oh my god! like, by NOON! amazing! i've got 6 canvasses going and a huge collection of headless paper dolls floating through the whole house. i'll have pics soon, i'm just stunned by how much i got done. i even painted wet in to wet on one of the canvasses which is something i never do... but i sorta like it. partnered with the more photographic, realist work, there's a definite charm to that painting approach. i still buffed out all the brush strokes but the "painterliness" of the method is still super prominent in spite of that. we'll see if i end up keeping it or making it as realistic as i possibly can... the thing i usually strive for in oil paintings which is why it's taking me so long to get them wrapped up.

today, i got up at 8:45 but come monday morning, i'll get back on my new early morning schedule and will definitely get the big canvas finished. i can't wait. i'm going to have to stop myself from working on it soon it's just that with each new layer of paint i put down, the more realistic and complete it appears. it's hard to stop when you notice that happening but i don't want to end up overworking this piece. normally, i'm nervous about posting in-progress shots but here's what i mean:


layer 1


layer 4


layer 6


layer 7

see what i mean. but i've really got to make myself get this one wrapped up. i need to put the buttons back on her dress and work out some of the highlights and fix her hand... other than that, it's almost done. :) it's pretty big- 44" x 38" so it takes a couple hours to get a single layer of paint down across the entire surface and i'm trying to be really careful at this point too... i really don't want to mess this one up. i like it too much. :)

5 comments:

Radish King said...

Oh I do love your subtleties here. I am nervous/apprehensive/superstitious about posting my art at all on my blog. There's so much writing to worry about. When I do post them I absent them quickly. I dreamt these colors and am trying to damp them down a bit :)

http://tinyurl.com/ajcojm

angela simione said...

thank you so much! it can definitely be daunting to post art sometimes... definitely.

your painting is great! the love the expression on her face, the knuckles, the pose of the hands... the color is so intense! i don't think that's a bad thing though. it reminds me of gauguin's palette- so lush! do you do any glazing?

Radish King said...

Thank you! I love Gauguin as you might imagine. I did glazing for a while then I started throwing sand at everything then I started using wax to mold body parts on top of my paintings then I went back to simple (haha) oils. I did a painting with my MRI results a while ago. I glued cut up pieces of the x-ray into the painting and installed a little light bulb behind so when you turned on the painting it was like when the doctor looked at the MRI. I loved it. I also did one with my old (and I mean OLD...1971) high school photo proofs... they were ok until they saw light then they started fading. they were the only thing i had hidden at my mother's house that she never found. i painted them into this huge canvas and made it all pink and girly and lacy on the edges, then I threw sand all over it and ended up scratching the words "My heart was a wild thing and did not belong among people. I did what I could to hide this discrepancy." all across the painting. I hung it in my living room and eventually the photos began to fade until i eventually had black holes where my face had been. i goddamned love that painting. it's under my bed haha.

now it's just me and oil. for now.

angela simione said...

hahaha! awesome! i really like that it's under your bed!

me too, girl: just myself and the oil. this painting does have a couple glazes on it which is a technique i haven't used in a couple of years- normally i don't like to use any additives at all and work dry-brush but there was just something about this image that made me want to try for some pretty high realism. glazes are the way to go for that.

angela simione said...

sand and MRI x-rays... fucking wonderful! :)